Boston just has your number Orlando

Posted by C.D. Paul on Friday, January 27, 2012 with No comments
Watching the game on Monday, seeing the Magic struggle against the full court press and while having Avery Bradley attached hip to hip with Jameer Nelson, the Orlando Magic lost 87-56.  The last time the Magic scored that low of a point total was in 1996, a season where Shaq departed to the Lakers, Penny Hardaway, Dennis Scott, and Nick Anderson with dealing with injuries and that team finished 57 points scored against the Cavs.  I was convinced that after the Magic showed resiliency with a win against the Pacers, an up and coming team, I thought we were ready for revenge against the Celtics.  Once I found out that the Celtics would be without Rajon Rondo, Ray Allen, and adding Jermaine O’Neal,I thought to myself  "this can’t happen twice right?"

The First Half was great besides Howard getting into foul trouble.  The ball movement was crisp, shots falling in, the Most Improved Candidate in Ryan Anderson came back to life in the game, we were up 27 going into halftime. A huge smile was on my face, and I thought that since they were missing players that they wouldn't have enough offense to get back into the game.  So, that light at the end of the tunnel, where Orlando can redeem themselves, ended up being a Train, painted with green and white colors.  It was unreal, 3 quick turnovers and they have a spark going on.  Bradley was not trapping but still applied some great half court defense and it looked like deja vu all over again.  E’Twuan Moore had a career night, making four vital three pointers and if you make it a ball game, put the ball in Pierce’s hand.  I was in a state of utter complete shock!

Boston made a 44-16 run. I didn't know what to say, I saw my team broken down twice this week and technical fouls were flying everywhere.  It was the first time I'd seen Ryan Anderson bark at a ref like he did tonight and Dwight Howard had a (+/-) minus 25.  I’m not going to let these two games define our season, because I know we have enough talent to make noise but if this roster goes forward with Dwight on it, this week proves why we need a scorer on the wing, one who can break down defenses, penetrate in the lane, collapse the defense, and create his own shot.  Boston since 2008 against the Magic, including playoffs are 14-12.  As an longtime NBA fan, there are certain teams that causes team problems, and it’s obvious in Orlando’s case, it’s Boston. I don’t think Boston will go to the playoffs and predict they will return to losing after being on cloud 9 about beating Orlando.  If they do however make the playoffs, they better pray that they play the Magic because they own us.  The Magic's next game is in New Orleans, on to the next one.  At full strength, and hopefully with our roster the way it is, on 4/28 we see this battle again.  I don’t think it would matter at that point but there could be a lot of crossroads and story-lines at that time.